A school board member shall abide by the following Code of Ethics for School Board Members:
- I will uphold and enforce all laws, rules and regulations of the WLSD and the State Board of Education, and court orders pertaining to schools. Desired changes shall be brought about only through legal and ethical procedures.
- I will make decisions in terms of the educational welfare of children and will seek to develop and maintain public schools that meet the individual needs of all children regardless of their ability, race, creed, sex, or social standing.
- I will confine my board action to policy making, planning, and appraisal, and I will help to frame policies and plans.
- I will carry out my responsibility, not to administer the schools, but, together with my fellow board members, to see that they are well run.
- I will recognize that authority rests with the board of education and will make no personal promises nor take any private action that may compromise the board.
- I will refuse to surrender my independent judgment to special interest or partisan political groups or to use the schools for personal gain or for the gain of family or friends.
- I will hold confidential all matters pertaining to the schools which, if disclosed, would needlessly injure individuals or the schools. In all other matters, I will provide accurate information and, in concert with my fellow board members, interpret to the Superintendent and Treasurer the aspirations of the community for its school.
- I will vote to appoint the best qualified personnel available after consideration of the recommendation of the Superintendent or Treasurer.
- I will support and protect school personnel in proper performance of their duties, without direct influence or intervention unless sitting as a member of the full Board of Education. I will refrain from entering the buildings unannounced or without appointments. I will refrain from contacting district employees to discuss any issues that do not directly pertain to board policy or governance. I will be mindful and respectful of employee’s time, and limit the amount of time to allow employees to focus on his or her assigned tasks and job responsibilities.
- I will refer all complaints to the Superintendent and/or Treasurer and will act on the complaints at public meetings only after failure of an administrative solution.
- The full board may vote to reprimand any Board member for failure to comply with this Code of Conduct.
- This Code of Conduct for Board members becomes effective for Board of Education members in the Warren Local School District after the date of approval at a regularly scheduled WLSD Board of Education meeting.
The school board authorizes the superintendent to communicate with the district employees that in the event they are approached or contacted by a school board member, they are requested to respectfully decline to comment and recommend an appropriate point of contact for the discussion. They may request the board member make an appointment to discuss the topic of concern with the board member when it is convenient for both parties. The employee may request the presence of the superintendent and only topics that include board policy or board governance will be discussed.